Scott Burns took Benchmark out to Frys Harbor May 18-20. They were the only boat there on Friday, another boat from Santa Barbara joined them on Saturday, but no other squadron boats were able to go. He reported: “It was interesting weather. Saturday night at Frys, about 2 am it blew from the canyon more than I’d ever felt, but about 4 am, it calmed down. I actually reefed the main after I got out of the anchorage Sunday morning, but a few hours later, no wind at all and had the main down and cover on ½ hour before getting to harbor.”
Here’s another chance!
Scott is planning a cruise out to Santa Cruz Island June 15-17. He invites all squadron boats to join in on the adventure and will serve as the point person for this event.
Departure will be Friday at 8am so that if the wind picks up, we are at the anchorage close to 1pm.
Cueva Valdez is the destination, with Lady’s as a backup if conditions not calm enough at Cueva.
Boats should stay tuned to Channel 16 for hailing each other before moving to a working channel for discussions (e.g., change in anchorage due to conditions or crowds).
Bring your favorite beverages and nibbles for a happy hour gathering on the beach Saturday.
RSVP to Scott so he can keep interested parties notified of weather forecast and his go/no-go decision. firstname.lastname@example.org cell: 805 448 8110
Read more about Cueva here: https://sailchannelislands.com/santa-cruz-cueva-valdez/